You will be pleased to know that the majority of insurers no longer require claim forms and prefer that claims are submitted to them using a special claims helpline. This usually has the effect of speeding up consideration and, if the claim is valid, settlement of your losses. When you are asked to use a claims helpline you will typically be dealing with the insurance company, or its appointed representative, directly. Details of how to report your claim are included in your policy booklet but we recommend that you contact your usual office in the first instance. Visit our Contact Us page for full information. Please remember that if you need us to become involved with your claim because you are unhappy with the service you are receiving from the claims line, or you just need some clarification, please do not hesitate to speak to us. We are here to help you.

Handy Claims Tips:

  • Malicious Damage, Accidental Loss or Theft claims need to be reported to the Police. They will issue you with a report number - your insurance company will ask you for this.
  • The vast majority of insurance policies have a policy excess. The excess is the amount that will be deducted from your claim settlement. It is worth remembering that most policies also have a no claims discount too. You may wish to check with us first to see if it worth claiming under your policy once the excess has been deducted and your no claims discount level has been reduced.
  • Always try and take photographs of any damage. This will help to support your claim.

For Road Traffic Accidents:

  1. Please remember to record the name, address and registration number of any other drivers who were involved. Also, taking the name and address of the other party-s insurance company will help speed up the claim.
  2. If there were any witnesses to the incident, you should record their names and addresses and provide this information to your insurance company.
  3. You should provide your own name, address and insurance details to any other parties involved in the incident but you should not admit liability.
  4. It is helpful to make a sketch of the position of your vehicle in the road and the positions of other vehicles both prior to and after the incident. If you have a camera with you, and it is safe to do so, take some photographs of the damage.
  5. Make sure that you report the incident to us or your insurance company as soon as possible after the incident.

Liability Claims Public liability or employers liability insurance claims are ones where the claimant (the person claiming against you) needs to show that their allegations are valid by law. As a result of this, most claims will require thorough investigation. In the first instance you should report the incident to your usual Towergate office or, if you prefer, you can report it on the insurers claims helpline. Most insurers will require you to complete an incident report form. It is very important that all subsequent correspondence you receive in connection with the incident is forwarded to us, or your insurers, unanswered. Once your insurers receive your incident report form they will consider the circumstances and decide whether you are covered under the policy wording. Once they have established that cover is operative, they will then decide whether to settle or defend the claim.

  • Remember: You must not have any contact with the claimant, either verbally or in writing. This extends to their representatives too (usually solicitors).
  • If you have access to a camera you should take photographs as this may help your representatives if they decide to defend the claim.